Sunday, February 17, 2008

Tuscan White Bean Soup

1 lb. small white beans, $.65
3 Tbsp. olive oil (or whatever kind you have), $.50
2 onions chopped (I used one), $1
1 cup finely chopped carrots, $1
2 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary (I didn't have so I left this out)
3 cloves minced garlic (I used minced garlic from a jar because that's what I had on hand, you could also substitute garlic powder), $.50
10 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I used boullion and water), $.25
pepper and parmesan cheese for garnish, optional (we didn't use)

Total cost: $3.90

Wash and soak beans as directed on package.

In a large soup pot, heat oil and saute onions and carrots (and rosemary if using) until soft. Stir in garlic, beans, and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered until beans are tender (mine took a couple of hours).

Transfer 1/3 of the soup to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Then return it with the rest of the soup and stir.

We ate this with homemade bread and it was wonderful.

No comments: