Saturday, February 9, 2008

Saturday Stirrings: Chicken & Dumplings

Over at "It Coulda' Been Worse", FiddleDeeDee has asked for participation in Saturday Stirrings where she usually posts all the yummiest recipes. So, I've decided to take part this week and share our chicken and dumplings recipe. This recipe gets a thumbs up from all the kids.

Chicken & Dumplings

1 large or 2 small cans cream of chicken soup, $1.25
1 lb. any kind of chicken (you could use less or even omit), $2
1-2 cups frozen or fresh vegetables (we use peas and carrots), $1
2 small cans refrigerated biscuits (I buy the 4 pack store brand and use the other 2 cans for another recipe), $1 or less

Boil the chicken in 8 cups of water. Take the chicken out after 1/2 hour or so, throwing away the skin and bones. Break the chicken up and put back in to the pot with the water. Add the vegetables. Add the cream of chicken soup. Cut the biscuit dough in to small pieces and add to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or so. Wall-ah! A delicious dinner.This makes a big pot. All five of us ate multiple bowls and there are leftovers. Total cost $5.25.

This is soooo good. Save even more $ by using leftover veggies and making your own biscuit dough (if you have time).

1 comment:

Fiddledeedee said...

I'm speechless. That sounds amazing! I miss the chicken and dumplings that my mom and grandma use to make. I will be adding this to me "comfort food" category of my recipe book.

Thank you for participating!!!