Sunday, March 9, 2008

Meat Loaf

My kids all liked this meat loaf.

2 to 2.5 lbs. ground beef
2 c. dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
8 oz. tomato sauce
2 c. shredded or finely chopped veggies (onions, carrots, celery, broccoli, raw spinach leaves, zucchini, etc., whatever you have but don't leave out the onions)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. season salt (or regular salt if that's all you have)

You can use a blender or food processor to grind up the bread crumbs. I usually throw the stale heels of bread that my family doesn't eat into a freezer bag and save for recipes like this. Throw all the ingredients into a big bowl and mix up with your hands (this is the easiest way). When it's all mixed up, divide and press into two loaf pans (or whatever shape pan you like, it really doesn't matter). Bake at 350 for an hour. I like to use my meat thermometer to check for doneness.

No comments: