Saturday, January 19, 2008

Saving Vegetables and Dairy

We will be going on a trip tomorrow. I was looking in the refrigerator to see what would be spoiled when we got back. I found 4 things. A bag of fresh broccoli (I thought we would eat this before we left, but we didn't), some celery stalks, a bag of baby carrots, and some milk. Instead of letting them go to waste, I saved them.

The broccoli I washed and cut up and put into a ziploc bag and into the freezer. We will be able to steam it and eat it when we get back.

The celery stalks and some of the carrots I washed and put into my mini chopper. Then I put each one into a storage container and into the freezer. I will use these in soups, stews, casseroles, etc. The carrots I can add to cookies, cakes, or breads as well. The mini chopper chops the veggies very finely. This way they can be added to just about any recipe and not change the texture or taste. The remaining carrots are coming with us on the trip for a snack.

The milk I am putting into the freezer. We will dethaw it when we get back. It is fresh milk as I only purchased and opened it a couple of days ago. I would have gone without, but my kids have been eating a lot of cereal lately. I stock up on cereal whenever there is a good sale, and right now we have quite a shelf full.

No comments: