Friday, January 18, 2008

About the Recipes and How They Work

We are a family of five, one of whom is a preschooler who doesn't eat a lot, so the recipes I post are for an average size family. If your family is smaller, I suggest making the full recipe and freezing the leftovers or eating them for lunch the next day. If you have a large family, double or triple the recipes.

I try to write an approximate cost next to each item. This is approximate, and I try to round up a bit. That way, the recipe won't end up costing you way more than my estimate. Hopefully, your store has had some good sales and you can make it for much less!

All the recipes I post are frugal recipes even if you aren't running to every sale in town or clipping coupons like a mad woman. If you have the time, those are great ways to save money. But if you don't have time, just shop smart at your local store, plan a menu, and use these recipes to save.

Your savings will be threefold. One, the recipe ingredients don't cost a lot. Two, you will have a list when you shop which will reduce the impulse buys. Not having to run around to multiple stores will also reduce the impulse buys. And three, having quick and easy recipes to make at home, and having all the ingredients ready, will reduce the urge to order out.

The menu plans I post are ones that our family is using or has used. You can and should mix and match and use what works best for your family. When first starting out or if short on time, I encourage you to choose one of my plans and try it out. Let me know how you do. If you come up with a great plan, please share it with us! By the way, I use either one or two week menu plans. Any longer than that and I get mixed up because I never know which fresh vegetables will be on sale. Plus, I don't like to buy the items too soon and have them go bad before I get to a certain recipe.

No comments: