Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Low Cost Menu Plans (Only $55!) Work for Me!

I'm excited this week because I have a low cost menu plan worked out. And it's good food, too. Not only does this save me a ton of money, but it also helps so much to know what we'll be eating. For years and years I just bought all kinds of ingredients to have in the pantry/freezer, and would decide what to make each day based on what we had. It worked most of the time, but didn't save any money and took way more time. And when we are all busy going different directions, having a plan means one less thing to worry about. We also tend to eat out less when the menu is pre-planned.

One of the biggest savings comes from it being actually easier to eat at home when meals are planned than it is to eat out. Eating out now takes more time, more money, is more stressful, and generally is not as good. We do still like to eat out on special occasions or when we are away from the house for an extended period of time.

To buy all the ingredients this week would be around $55 for my family of 5. However, I had some of the stuff already. The menu plan and grocery list with prices are here.

To see what is working for others, go here.

2 comments:

Shari Ellen said...

Wow. That's a lot of food for just $55.

Unknown said...

That's a lot.
But why use powdered milk when there's fresh milk available?

We never eat out.
I buy what's fresh and cheap, and we always eat something different.

Never made a menuplan in my life.

You can find out what works for me ::here::
Have a wonderful day!